Thursday, December 17, 2009

To film or not to film?


I have an unusual celebrity neighbor. Living across the road in my quiet village three miles outside of Brighton is Omar Deghayes. Omar is a quiet man with a big story. He previous residence of five years was Guantanamo Bay Penitentiary, and prior to that one of the CIA’s “dark prisons.” During his incarceration, he was allegedly blinded in his right eye by his interrogators, witnessed a fellow inmate beaten to death, and was tortured in all manner of illegal ways. I have long since contemplated contacting Omar with the intention of interviewing him on camera, and making a film about his horrendous plight, and I am not one hundred percent sure what is holding me back. Do I mistrust my own intentions in making this film? Deep down, do I suspect this man of being a terrorist? And am I paranoid to worry about possible repercussions for my own U.S. visa? Would you interview Omar?

No comments:

Post a Comment