Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Blog One: An enterprise that has many precedents, untold imitators, and is banal in every way ...


Sorry Rousseau, but you were a bit of a ponce.

Haha, in real life, yours truly shares only an accent with Clockwork Orange’s Alex... These are scribblings of a doctoral student, at the threshold of writing his academic magnum opus.

This blog is also about being on the threshold of new things. In the humble case of yours truly, this means city-swapping: after four heady years in L.A., I am heading to the cooler climes and more ambient chic of San Francisco. As well as scouting for new places to hang my hats, it also means turning thirty and WORKING IT ALL OUT, etc. etc. “There's a voice that keeps on calling me / Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down / Until tomorrow ...” The Littlest Hobo, haha.

I was a blog snob until recently. For the record, I do think sites like Twitter are the enemy of smart writing. They are churning out heaps of verbal junk into a seriously over-clogged cyberspace. However, I began to reevaluate my blog snobbery when N.___ a girlfriend whose taste, writing and person I admire ... began a blog on this here same site. N.__ and I have this in common that we have clocked up more years in university than Lisa Simpson has in middle school. And yet, we seek forms and forums outside of academic discourse, which granted has its place and yet has its limitations.

This blog is about clever, provocative writing which yours truly is hoping has a place in the big, bad world that lies at the edge of campus. And failing that, to amuse and exasperate a many great friends living on five continents.

That's all for now folks! But hypocrite lecteur, mon semblable, mon frère, I know you don’t really exist. Or do you..? Go on, I dare you, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment